MVS Full Time Requirements
MVS Full Time K-12 Eligibility and Requirements
The following eligibility requirements must be met in order to enroll in MVS Full Time. Please review the requirements carefully to determine if your student is eligible to enroll in grades K-12. In addition, students / parents must enroll in the enrollment window as posted here. MVS is a public school within the School District of Manatee County, and is a School of Choice so admission is not guaranteed.
DO NOT WITHDRAW FROM YOUR ZONED SCHOOL BEFORE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION !
- The student must be a legal resident in the state of Florida, and specifically Manatee County.
- Military families who live outside the state of Florida may enroll their students but they must maintain their Florida residency.
- Students enrolling in Kindergarten must be 5 years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which he or she is enrolling.
- Students enrolling in 1st grade must be 6 years old on or before September 1 in the school year for which he or she is enrolling.
- Age requirements for students with disabilities that have an active Individual Educational Plan (IEP) differ from the general school age requirements.
Manatee Virtual School DOES NOT ENROLL NEW SENIORS for their final 2nd semester in the full time virtual program. The completion and submission of an application for grades K-11 does not guarantee enrollment as a full time MVS students for the Fall semester of 2023. All applications are reviewed for the following mandatory enrollment criteria:
- Students must be on track for graduation and/or promotion
- minimum 2.0 GPA
- successful completion of required state testing
- C or better on all current 1st grades
- Need for Intensive Reading / Math or credit recovery courses as they are not offered by MVS.
- Students wishing to enroll in as a full time Manatee Virtual student must have a discussion with their zoned school counselor regarding appropriate placement. Parents and students must request and be provided in writing, course recommendations from their zoned school counselor as to what courses they should take in the upcoming semester.
Senior Graduation Policies:
Fulltime MVS Seniors graduating from MVS may participate in the Manatee Virtual School Graduation Program but are not permitted to participate in graduation ceremonies held at their zoned school. The Manatee Virtual Graduation Program is held each summer at Manatee Technical College to celebrate the success of MVS graduates.
- Students With Disabilities Requirements
In accordance with Rule 6A-6.0334, F.A.C., if an exceptional education student who has an Individual Educational Plan (IEP) applies to enroll in a full-time virtual program, the virtual program will determine if the student meets the profile for success in this educational delivery context. At the time of applying for enrollment at FLVS Full Time, families will be asked to submit a copy of any existing IEP. If the student's IEP indicates that full-time virtual instruction is appropriate, and the student meets all other school enrollment criteria, then the student may be enrolled. All necessary ESE services and related services must be able to be delivered online in a virtual manner to students at FLVS Full Time. If comparable services are not available or not appropriate in a full-time online environment, or if FLVS Full Time has concerns that a full-time online setting may not be the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) for the student, then other educational options will be discussed during the application process. Please view the FLVS Full Time Handbook for more detailed information.
- Students with disabilities are required to meet the state and school admission criteria in order to be accepted into MVS Full Time, just as their non-disabled peers.
- Current Individual Education Plans (IEP) of student applicants who meet the school’s entrance criteria will be reviewed on an individual basis in order to determine whether or not full time online education is the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) and therefore an appropriate option for school choice.
- All necessary Exceptional Student Education (ESE) services and related services noted on a student’s IEP (or 504 Plan) must be able to be delivered in an online manner and must be readily available at MVS for a student’s enrollment to be accepted in MVS Full Time as the LRE.
- If comparable services are not available or appropriate in a full time online environment, or if MVS Full Time has concerns that a full time online setting may not be the LRE for the student, or if the student will not be present in Florida regularly, then other educational options will be discussed during the application process.
To maintain contact with teachers, staff, and administration, students must have daily access to the following:
- Computer (view system requirements)
- Internet service